Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is MEGA MILLIONS ® ? MEGA MILLIONS is a multi-state, multi-million dollar jackpot game offered in 46 lottery jurisdictions (including Florida). All MEGA MILLIONS member lotteries contribute a percentage of sales to a shared top-prize pool so jackpots can grow to hundreds of millions of dollars. The game’s jackpot starts at $20 million and rolls over until all six numbers are matched. MEGA MILLIONS has nine prize levels with lower-tier prizes ranging from $2 to $1,000,000 – and up to $5,000,000 with Megaplier ® . 2. What other lotteries offer MEGA MILLIONS? MEGA MILLIONS is played in 44 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. For a complete list of states that offer MEGA MILLIONS visit www.megamillions.com. 3. Will the revenue generated from Florida ticket sales stay in the state? As with all other games offered by the Florida Lottery, all profits from MEGA MILLIONS ticket sales in Florida will be transferred to the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund to benefit education in the state. 4. When did MEGA MILLIONS sales begin in Florida? MEGA MILLIONS ticket sales in Florida began on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 6:00 a.m. ET. 5. How much do MEGA MILLIONS tickets cost? MEGA MILLIONS tickets cost $2 per play. MEGA MILLIONS with Megaplier tickets cost $3 per play. 6. What is the largest MEGA MILLIONS jackpot to date? The largest MEGA MILLIONS jackpot to date was a whopping $1.6 Billion for the October 23, 2018, drawing in which there was one jackpot-winning ticket sold in South Carolina. 7. Who sets the MEGA MILLIONS jackpot and how is it calculated? Prior to each drawing, the Finance Committee of the MEGA MILLIONS Lotteries shall determine the estimated annual payment based jackpot amount to be advertised. The advertised jackpot amount shall be estimated and established based upon sales and the annual payment option factor established for the drawing.
The prize money allocated from the current MEGA MILLIONS prize pool for the Grand Prize, plus any previous portions of prize money allocated to the Grand Prize category in which no matching tickets were sold will be divided equally among all jackpot prize winners in all participating lotteries. The annual payment option Grand Prize amount will be paid in 30 graduated annual installments. 8. What is Megaplier? Megaplier is an add-on feature to MEGA MILLIONS that gives players a chance to win up to $5 million. When players purchase a MEGA MILLIONS ticket, they may add Megaplier for $1 more per play to multiply their non-jackpot winnings by up to five times. All non-jackpot prizes will be multiplied by the Megaplier number, from two to five, that is drawn prior to the MEGA MILLIONS drawing. 9. Where can I view the MEGA MILLIONS drawings? You may view the MEGA MILLIONS drawings on official Florida Lottery TV carrier stations in major markets throughout Florida. Viewing times will vary by station.
MEGA MILLIONS winning numbers will be available on this website, at Florida Lottery retailers statewide, and by phone at (850) 921-PLAY. Also, you may register on this website to receive MEGA MILLIONS winning numbers and other Lottery information by email or text message. 10. How do you play MEGA MILLIONS? At any Florida Lottery retail location, you can either mark your selections on a MEGA MILLIONS playslip or tell the retailer the numbers you wish to play. On the playslip, select five numbers from 1 to 70 in the upper play area and one Mega Ball number from 1 to 25 in the lower play area. You may Quick Pick some or all of your numbers by marking the QP box in the upper and/or the lower play areas of the playslip. Make your selections carefully, because MEGA MILLIONS TICKETS CANNOT BE CANCELLED. 11. How do you play Megaplier? Simply mark the Megaplier box located on the left side of the MEGA MILLIONS playslip. Megaplier will apply to all panels and Quick Pick boxes you have marked on the playslip. Megaplier will add $1 more per play, so check your selections carefully before giving the playslip to the retailer. If you tell the retailer your MEGA MILLIONS selections, make sure to ask for Megaplier. 12. How will I know if my MEGA MILLIONS ticket includes Megaplier? MEGA MILLIONS with Megaplier tickets will display “MEGAPLIER YES” and MEGA MILLIONS tickets with no Megaplier will display “MEGAPLIER NO.” 13. Can I advance play MEGA MILLIONS? If so, how many draws? Yes, you may advance play MEGA MILLIONS for up to 26 consecutive draws. If you select Megaplier, it will apply to all drawings. 14. How late can I purchase a MEGA MILLIONS ticket on a draw night? On draw nights, you will be able to purchase MEGA MILLIONS tickets until game sales close at 10:00 p.m. ET, as adequate time is required to ensure that the draw data has been securely received from all 46 member lotteries before the MEGA MILLIONS drawing is held at 11:00 p.m. ET in Atlanta, GA.
There will be a 5-minute sales break between 10:00 p.m. and 10:05 p.m. ET on the night of the MEGA MILLIONS drawings, and sales after 10:05 p.m. ET will be for the next draw. 15. Will my MEGA MILLIONS playslip from another state work in Florida? No, all MEGA MILLIONS states use different playslips that work exclusively on their gaming systems. 16. On the MEGA MILLIONS ticket, how is it possible to have the same number twice on one line? Since you select five numbers from 1 through 70 and one Mega Ball number from 1 through 25, it is possible to repeat a number for your Mega Ball number. The letters “MB” will indicate the Mega Ball number on your ticket. MEGA MILLIONS numbers are drawn from two separate sets of balls in which five white balls and one gold Mega Ball are selected at random. 17. Can I purchase Florida MEGA MILLIONS tickets through the Internet or by mail if I live out of the state/country? No. Florida MEGA MILLIONS tickets may only be purchased from the Florida Lottery through terminals at authorized Florida Lottery retailers. Although MEGA MILLIONS is sold nationally, each state can only sell MEGA MILLIONS within their state. 18. How do you win MEGA MILLIONS? During the MEGA MILLIONS drawing, five white balls (numbered 1 through 70) and one gold Mega Ball (numbered 1 through 25) are randomly selected. Players win the jackpot by matching, in any order, the five numbers drawn from the first set of balls and the Mega Ball drawn from the second set.
*$20 million starting jackpots
23. Are the million dollar prizes paid in cash or as an annual payment option? All MEGA MILLIONS prizes, excluding the jackpot, will be a one-time cash payment less applicable taxes. Jackpot winners may elect to receive their winning in a one-time cash payment or 30 graduated annual installments. 24. Can I claim a Florida MEGA MILLIONS winning ticket in another MEGA MILLIONS state? No. All prizes must be claimed in the state where the winning ticket was sold. 25. When do Florida MEGA MILLIONS tickets expire? Florida MEGA MILLIONS tickets expire 180 days from the winning draw date, just like all other Draw games offered by the Florida Lottery. 26. Does the MEGA MILLIONS jackpot have a cash option? Yes. Jackpot winners may choose to receive their portion of a jackpot prize as an annual payment option or a one-time Cash Option. Jackpot prizes must be claimed within the first 60 days after the winning draw to receive the Cash Option.
The annual payment option prize will be paid in 30 graduated annual installments, each less applicable withholding taxes. The initial payment shall be paid upon completion of internal validation procedures. The subsequent twenty-nine payments shall be paid annually to coincide with the month of the Federal auction date at which the bonds were purchased to fund the annual payment option. All such payments shall be made within seven days of the anniversary of the annual auction date. 27. How long will it take to get my MEGA MILLIONS jackpot prize payment? MUSL requires two weeks to receive ACH transfers of funds from all 46 MEGA MILLIONS members, so the earliest you may receive your MEGA MILLIONS jackpot prize is on the 15th day after the winning draw date. 28. What happens to the money if a MEGA MILLIONS jackpot ticket is won in Florida but is not claimed? At the end of the winning state’s claim period (180 days in Florida), the funds to pay a jackpot that goes unclaimed will be returned to the lottery members in their proportion of sales for the jackpot rollover series.
In Florida, 80 percent of all unclaimed jackpot prizes are transferred to the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund to benefit education in the state. 29. Who gets the unclaimed prize money for non-jackpot MEGA MILLIONS prizes? All funds for unclaimed MEGA MILLIONS non-jackpot prizes stay in the state where the winning tickets were sold. 30. What happens if a MEGA MILLIONS jackpot winner dies before all payments have been made? The MEGA MILLIONS annual payment option prize will go into the deceased winner’s estate. Annual prize payments can continue to be paid to heirs, or the annual payment option may be cashed out by the winner’s estate.
© 2021 Florida Lottery, All Rights Reserved.
Must be 18 or older to play.
Frequently Asked Questions 1. What is MEGA MILLIONS ® ? MEGA MILLIONS is a multi-state, multi-million dollar jackpot game offered in 46 lottery jurisdictions (including Florida). All MEGA
Mega Millions Cutoff Time: How Late Can You Buy Lottery Tickets Before Friday’s $1 Billion Drawing?
With a little, or a lot, of luck, someone will be crowned the big winner of the Mega Millions lottery and the $1 billion jackpot. As the drawing nears, it’s natural for people to rush to buy tickets, but there is a cutoff time for people taking their shot at becoming wealthy beyond their imagination.
In many states, eligible tickets are sold until 15 minutes before the drawing takes place. The drawing for Mega Millions will occur at 11 p.m. EDT on Friday, so, if you live in an eligible state on the East Coast, you have to purchase your ticket by 10:45 p.m EDT. If you’re in Central Time Zone, that means 9:45 p.m. CDT. The West Coast should have their tickets in hand by 7:45 p.m PDT.
However, there are exceptions to this time limit, so it’s best to check the rules in your own state. For example, in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, the cutoff is 9:50 p.m. EDT on the day of the drawing.
After a series of drawings during which no one hit big, the Mega Millions reached a whopping $1 billion with a cash option of $565 million on Friday. The massive prize is the second-largest pot of cash in United States lottery history.
To take a shot at winning the life-changing prize money, a person over the age of 18 needs to purchase a ticket for two dollars with the option to guess the Megaplier for an extra dollar. Tickets are sold at a variety of establishments, including convenience stores, gas stations and newspaper stands.
There are two ways a person can select their numbers, either by choosing specific numbers or through random selection. If there is a set of lucky numbers the person wants to play, they select five different numbers ranging from one to 70 and one number ranging from one to 25. If the person wants to leave it up to the computer to decide their fate, they can select the Easy Pick/Quick Pick option and have numbers generated for them.
There are nine ways a person can win the Mega Million lottery, ranging from the top prize down to the cost of their ticket:
- 5 numbers + gold Mega Ball match = Jackpot
- 5 numbers + no gold Mega Ball match = $1,000,000
- 4 numbers + gold Mega Ball match = $10,000
- 4 numbers + no gold Mega Ball match = $500
- 3 numbers + gold Mega Ball match = $200
- 3 numbers + no gold Mega Ball match = $10
- 2 numbers + gold ball match = $10
- 1 number + gold ball match = $4
- 0 numbers + gold ball match = $2
Winners have two choices for claiming their prize, either in an immediate payment followed by 29 subsequent payments, or in one lump sum of cash.
While not as high as the Mega Millions prize, also on the line this weekend is the $470 million prize attached to the Power Ball. The drawing for the Power Ball will take place on Saturday evening.
The $1 billion drawing has a cash payout option of more than $500 million.